Born in Ludvika, Sweden
• Civil Engineer, 1971 at Lund Institute of Technology, Lund, Sweden
• Doctor of Philosophy, Lund Institute of Technology, 1987. Title of the thesis: The development of a method for traffic safety evalua¬tion: The Swedish Traffic Conflicts Technique.
• Since 1/5/69 employed full time at the Depart¬ment of Technology and Society, Lund Institute of Technology.
• Since 1974 till 1993: leader of a research group in the traffic safety research area.
• Since the 1st of March 1993, appointed full time Professor at the Department.
Main areas of interest
• Traffic safety in urban areas
• Vulnerable road users
• Speed and safety and interaction
• Chairman of ICTCT, 1979 – 2011
• Member of FOT, the Swedish Association for Vulnerable Road users
• Hydén, C., Várhelyi, A. The effects on safety, time consumption and environment of large scale use of roundabouts in an urban area: a case study. Accident Analysis and Prevention 32 (2000) 11–23
• Várhelyi, A., Hjälmdahl, M., Hydén, C., Draskóczy, M. Effects of an active accelerator pedal on driver behaviour and traffic safety after long-term use in urban areas. Accident Analysis and Prevention 36 (2004) 729–737
• Wahl, C., Svensson, Å., Hydén, C. (2010) Effects of minor phrasing variations in traffic-related questionnaires Comparison of objective equivalences and respondents' subjective statements. Transportation Research Part F: Psychology and Behaviour, 13(5), pp. 315-328.
• Wennberg H, Ståhl A, Hydén C (2009) Implementing accessibility in municipal planning - Planners’ view. Journal of Transport and Land-use, 2 (2) [Spring 2009], pp. 1-18.
• The safety of pedestrians. Christer Hydén. Paper presented at the 23rd ICTCT Workshop in the Hague, Netherlands 2010
Publications at ICTCT workshops