• Master of Science in Business Engineering, KU Leuven, Belgium (1991)
• Academic teachers’ college for Economics and Applied Economics, Limburgs Universitair Centrum, Belgium (2006)
• PhD in Transportation Sciences, Hasselt University, Belgium (2010). Thesis: An epidemiological approach to explain crash risk and crash severity for different types of road users at roundabouts.
• 1993 – 2003: Ministry of the Flemish Community
• 2003 – 2016: Researcher, lecturer and assistant professor at Hasselt University
• Since 2016: Research manager at the Belgian Road Safety Institute (BRSI)
• Since 2011: Guest professor Transport & Traffic Safety at KU Leuven, faculty of Engineering
Causes and mechanisms associated with road crashes and near-crash events, effects of road design on crash occurrence, safety for vulnerable road users, effectiveness analysis including economic valuation.
• Svensson, Å., Daniels, S., Risser, R., 2017. Special issue in Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour: “Road safety as reflected by empirical non-crash data.” Transp. Res. Part F Traffic Psychol. Behav. 46, 261–262.
• Laureshyn, A., De Ceunynck, T., Karlsson, C., Svensson, Å., Daniels, S., 2017. In search of the severity dimension of traffic events: Extended Delta-V as a traffic conflict indicator. Accid. Anal. Prev. 98, 46–56.
• De Ceunynck, T., Daniels, S., Vanderspikken, B., Brijs, K., Hermans, E., Brijs, T., & Wets, G. (2016). Is there a spillover effect of a right turn on red permission for bicyclists? Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, 36, 35–45.
• De Pauw, E., Daniels, S., Brijs, T., Hermans, E., & Wets, G. (2014). Behavioural effects of fixed speed cameras on motorways: Overall improved speed compliance or kangaroo jumps? Accident Analysis & Prevention, 73, 132–140.
• Daniels, S., & Risser, R. (2014). Road safety in a globalised and more sustainable world: Current issues and future challenges. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 62, 329–330.
|October 2005. Helsinki|
|Traffic safety effects of roundabouts – a review with emphasis on bicyclist’s safety||ABSTR||DANIELS, Stijn; WETS, Geert|
|October 26 – 27. 2006. Minsk|
|Towards a road safety plan for Flanders-Belgium||ABSTR||DANIELS, Stijn;|
|October 25 – 26. 2007. Valencia|
|Safety effects of roundabouts: influence of the design of bicyclist facilities||ABSTR||DANIELS, Stijn;|
|October 22 – 23. 2009. Leeds|
|EXPLAINING DIFFERENCES IN SAFETY PERFORMANCE OF ROUNDABOUTS||DANIELS, Stijn;|
|October 27 – 28. 2011. Warsaw|
|Assessing the impact of road safety policy measures at the regional level: modelling approach and application||DANIELS, Stijn;|
Belgisch Instituut voor de Verkeersveiligheid
Tel: +32 2 244 14 23