MORTELMANS, Jef F.
Born in Belgium
- 1955 Graduation in Civil Engineering at the University of Leuven. Awarded by the “Koninklijke Vlaamse Ingenieursvereniging” (Royal Society of Flemish Engineers) for his thesis about the Traffic Planning in the City of LIER
- 1955-1956 Research Fellow at the Technical University of Stuttgart, Germany
- 1958 Assistant at University of Leuven
- 1960 Lecturer
- 1970 Professor
- Visiting professor at the Peradeniya University (Sri Lanka) and in the School of Engineers of Algiers (Algeria).
- Since 1981 Professor in the Civil Engineering Department and Head of the Research Unit for Traffic Engineering and Infrastructure Planning at the Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium.
- The Research Unit was/is involved in:
- Development of a vehicle detection system based on the use of a CCD-camera
- Interactive transportation planning model on microcomputer;
- Classification of vehicles with inductive loop detectors;
- Development of an automatic incident detection algorithm using time series analysis;
- Traffic data collection from video-recordings;
- Comparison of different methods to calculate the capacity of priority junctions;
- Operational aspects of a computerised traffic control system for the city of Leuven;
- Standardisation of managerial information systems (MIS);
- DRIVE Research: road safety management combining database and knowledge base technologies;
- Research project in collaboration with IBM on GPG applications (GIS).
- MORTELMANS J. 1990, Risk analysis and traffic safety evaluation Proceedings of the 2nd workshop of ICTCT in Munich 1989, Lund Inst. of Technology, Bulletin 86
- MORTELMANS J. Road safety management using behavioural pre-accident criteria.
Publications at ICTCT workshops
Research Unit for Traffic
Engineering and Infrastructure Planning
Celestijnenlaan 200 A
Phone: +32 16 321673
Fax: +32 16 321987