Born in Rotterdam, Netherlands, June 8, 1949
• 2010 Recipient of the A.R. Lauer Safety Award of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, San Francisco, September 28, 2010
• 1990 Ph.D., Delft University of Technology
• 1973 M.Sc., Electrical Engineering, Delft University of Technology
Professional activities and Main areas of interest
• RICHARD VAN DER HORST is presently both business consultant for the Mobility area of TNO and Senior Research Scientist at the Traffic Behaviour Research Group of the Department Perceptual and Cognitive Systems of TNO Soesterberg. His research background is in studies on human decision-making processes in traffic in relationship with road environment and other road users (gap-acceptance, signalised intersections, railway level crossings, traffic conflicts). He developed a video-based analysis method enabling an objective quantification of dynamic road user behaviour in traffic. He is working in the field of human factors in road traffic for over 38 years with a main focus on evaluation and assessment of road design, traffic management and in-vehicle driver support systems in terms of road safety and road user behaviour. Driver modelling and development of tools and techniques for evaluating ITS applications have his special interest.
• Co-chair TRB AND10(2) on Int. Human Factors Guidelines for Road Systems (2002 – 2012).
• Member of TRB Committee AND10 ‘Vehicle User Characteristics’ (1991-…), AND20 ‘User Information Systems (1992 – 2007; 2010-…), and of AND30 ‘Simulation and Measurement of Vehicle and Operator Performance’.(1991 – 2011)
• Member ISO TC22/SC13/WG8 TICS In-vehicle HMI (1995 – …) + Co-convenor Work Item Detection Response Tasks (2008 – …).
• Nes, N. van, Christoph, M., Hoedemaeker, M. & Horst, A.R.A. van der (2012). The Value of Combining Naturalistic Driving Observations with Site-Based Observations: a Pilot Study on the Right Turn Maneuver. (TRB Paper 12-0662). TRB 91th Annual Meeting 2012 CD-ROM. Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, D.C.
• Horst, A.R.A. van der (2011). The Lauer Letter: Human Factors Research in Road Traffic Revisited. In Summer 2011 Newsletter of the Surface Transportation Technical Group of the HFES. (http://hfes-sttg.dwsms.com/newsletter).
• Horst, A.R.A. van der & J.H. Hogema (2011). Driving Simulator Research on Safe Highway Design and Operation. Transportation Research Record, Journal of the Transportation Research Board, N.o 2248, 87-95.
• Horst, A.R.A. van der & M.H. Martens (2010). The Peripheral Detection Task (PDT): On-line Measurement of Driver Cognitive Workload and Selective Attention. In: G.L. Rupp (ed.). Performance metrics for Assessing Driver Distraction: The Quest for Improved Road Safety (SAE R-402). Warrendale: SAE International. 73-89.